Clara's Notes on Technology

Just a place to put down ideas and concepts on technology, mainly .NET, BizTalk, SQL Server, and other MSFT stuff.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Barcelona's Girl Geek Dinner

Yesterday was the Barcelona-TechEd Girl Geek Dinner. I didn't know what to expect and I enjoyed it, although I would have liked to network more. There were two reasons why I think I did not get to meet many girl geeks: 1) the dinner was seated so people did not really mix outside their table, 2) I brought one of my colleagues - he is a really nice guy but I did not feel completely at ease talking about how it is being the only girl in the office.

The speakers were great. Very inspirational (in fact, this has become my word for the TechEd: inspirational!). It is really encouraging to see women deeply involved in technology out there.

Sarah Blow asked them how they would define a geek. The definition I most identify with is that of "someone who is very curious, who wants to get to the bottom of things, who wants to understand" (I think it was from Catherine Heller from MSFT).

To sum up, two key phrases from the dinner, which I will try to rembember whenever in difficulty or doubt:


  • Just do it
  • Dare to be different

PS: Check out this website (when it is up!) http://www.evetech.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home